Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Craig Sybert
    Craig Sybert
    @Contrast

I love the Sync Event feature in Lectora, but have one major issue with it. Hopefully, I am just missing something and someone can give me some insight. I have set a few events to go with an MP3. The actions work perfectly as long as I use an MP3, but when I use the scrubber line, it does not reset the stage to the state it was before the actions were triggered. I know that I can do this in Flash, but I am trying to eliminate that step and work completely in Lectora. Is there any solution for this, such as an if statement that I can put somewhere or am I just not setting up the Sync Event feature correctly? Thank you all in advance for your help!

#301358 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Sergey Snegirev
    Sergey Snegirev
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    lab member
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    335 pts
    @ssneg

Hi Craig, Lectora is not a timeline-based tool like Flash, Captivate or Storyline. So it doesn’t “undo” the events when you scrub the player timeline back to the beginning.

Example: You’ve synced 3 events to a 60-sec narration to show 3 images. When you scrub back to the beginning, all three images remain visible. When you play the narration from the beginning, the actions to show the images will fire again (but without any visible effect since the images are already visible).

Now my two personal cents (no offense to what you are trying to build because I have no idea what it is or what you are trying to achieve). I personally think that showing bullet points synced to narration (or similar instructional designs) is the worst type of learning (and, sadly, 90% of corporate learning is like this). It isn’t interactive nor engaging. It works like TV when people sit back and watch it (or maybe just let it play in the background while they tend to their emails). So I’m kinda happy that there is a tool that enables people to easily build interactive slides etc. while not letting them fall into that instructional design mode.

#301363 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Craig Sybert
    Craig Sybert
    @Contrast

While I appreciate your input, the discussion was not around the current trends of training. I am an elearning developer given tasks to do in the form of producing training courses. I have built entirely interactive courses, courses that simulate a software (in particular, this is the type of course I am working on), and courses that are bullet points that are synced to an audio track. Having said that, I look for the best tools that do what I need to do in a well-rounded training department. For some courses, the only outlet is a presentation style of course in conjunction with an instructor led class. The question that I needed answered was, is there was a work around to the seemingly lacking ability to ‘reset’ items that have already triggered on a Sync Events on an audio file.  I am unhappy that this tool (Lectora) does not give me that option. As a person-to-person conversation, I too, do not like producing items that are boring and TV like either, but my job is to produce a product for the subject matter expert and occasionally try to convince them to move away from that stale format of presentation. I have worked with Lectora for about 6 years indirectly and 3 years directly and I have found some creative ways of handling issues that arise, mostly through some simple programming, but this one has alluded me for almost a week now. The question still stands. I would like to know if anyone has come up against this issue and if anyone has a work around for this situation. The secondary question is to Trivantis. Is this a feature that could be in a future release? Is it a feature that is already on the radar or will never be part of Lectora? Thank you Sergey, for your input.

#301378 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Jennifer Valley
    Jennifer Valley
    contributor
    beginner
    friend finder
    advanced
    lectora beginner
    verified member
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    curious george
    114 pts
    @jvalley4735

@contrast Thank you for your input.  I’ll add it to the list of suggested new features.  You can also add your suggestions in the Lectora Suggestions thread to give users a chance to up vote or discuss the new feature or enhancement.

#301396 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Sergey Snegirev
    Sergey Snegirev
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    lab member
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    335 pts
    @ssneg

Craig, we are in the same boat, we mostly make what the clients wants to have and often cannot influence their instructional decisions.

I think that the timeline is probably #1 requested feature for Lectora and I know for a fact that Trivantis are seriously considering implementing it.

As for workarounds, you could add a “replay” button to the slide that resets it to the beginning. There are two ways to achieve it:
    a) either add actions to it that reset all objects’ visibility and restart sound playback
    or b) make it go to an empty page, which has an “On Show – Go Back” action on it, so the learner jumps back to the main page automatically, resetting everything in the process.

This is not the same as scrubbing back but it does allow to re-play the slide in a Captivate/Storyline-like manner.

This post has received 1 vote up.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.