Explore the community Forums Lectora Lectora Questions & Answers Tracking buttonclicks on a Java Applet

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Andrew Lian
    Andrew Lian
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    12 pts
    @mlapl1

Hello

I have successfully installed a Java applet. I am trying to track button clicks in my application. I can do this easily enough with ordinary buttons by modifying variables when a button is clicked. BUT is there any way that I can get clicks recorded on the Java applet without modifying the applet itself? I was thinking a placing a transparent button on top of the applet but suspect that the click will not go through the button to the applet. Am I right? Any inventive Lectora solutions for this kind of issue?

Many thanks

Andrew

#299314 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Wendy Miller
    Wendy Miller
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    wise owl
    verified member
    55 pts
    @wendymiller

Hi Andrew,

Are you using an External HTML Object to embed your Java applet? If so, you could try attaching an action that has a Mouse Click trigger to the External HTML Object itself. I can’t say if this will work for sure or not in your situation, but it’s worth a try.

#299317 Score: 0
    Andrew Lian
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    12 pts
    @mlapl1

Thank you Wendy. Yes I am using an external HTML object. I will try to figure out what you mean exactly but it sounds like a good idea. Actually, I tried to use the object’s properties by creating a mouse click trigger. The mouse click did not work (not sure why) but the on mouse enter tr9gger worked – not precise enough though.

Thanks again

Andrew

#299320 Score: 0
    Wendy Miller
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    wise owl
    verified member
    55 pts
    @wendymiller

I just meant attaching an action to the External HTML Object, just like you would for a button. (See attached screen capture.) I tried it with a dummy applet. I could not trigger the mouse click event in Run Mode, but it did trigger when I previewed it in a browser. Not sure what would happen though if your applet is also supposed to intercept mouse clicks.

#299323 Score: 0
    Andrew Lian
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    12 pts
    @mlapl1

My applet is an audio recorder that works quite well and offers a ready-made solution for me except for tracking clicks. I did in fact do what you did in the attached graphic and discovered that the applet worked correctly but that the trigger did not fire (using an apache server). Other triggers like Mouse Enter/Exit seem to work though but not accurate enough, especially as there are a couple of buttons I want to track on the applet.

I thought of putting a transparent object on top of one of the applet’s buttons but suspect that the mouse click will not go through first layer but be stopped at the level of the first layer. To ask the question another way, is there a way that the a mouse click can be active through more than one layer?

Thanks a lot

Andrew

#299325 Score: 0
    Wendy Miller
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    wise owl
    verified member
    55 pts
    @wendymiller

Oh I see. I would suspect the same, but don’t know for sure. It sounds like you need a way to send messages to or get messages from the applet. That’s out of my scope of knowledge, unfortunately. Hopefully someone else here can suggest something for you. Sorry that I cannot help more.

#299326 Score: 0
    Andrew Lian
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    12 pts
    @mlapl1

Surprisingly, in earlier versions of script-based authoring systems, they did have the ability to pass messages e.g. send a buttonclick to another button. That is the sort of thing I need but do not have.

Thank you Wendy, you have been great. I will have to work on some cunning alternative 🙂

Andrew

#299360 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Sergey Snegirev
    Sergey Snegirev
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    lab member
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    339 pts
    @ssneg

I have zero knowledge of Java Applets. But if you were using a JavaScript audio recorder or at least a Flash sound recorder, it’d be really easy to pass data back and forth between Lectora and the recorder.

#299362 Score: 0
    Andrew Lian
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    12 pts
    @mlapl1

Agreed Sergey, I will take another look at  your previous recommendation for a recorder – maybe I am just not familiar of how to integrate JS into Lectora (despite the almost 600-page long docs).

Thanks a lot

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.