Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Andrew Lian
    Andrew Lian
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    12 pts
    @mlapl1

Hello everyone

Not quite sure where to ask this question but there is a lot of expertise in this forum – so here goes.

I am looking for a piece of software that would allow me to track both (both graphically and non-graphically) where people click on a screen, what they connect to and (ideally) what they do as they navigate, say, a network of lessons. It would be a bit like having snagit/camtasia recordings only it would be fully digital (ie not video) and manipulable. The output would look a bit like a mindmap diagram.

Does anyone know of such a system? I guess it would not be implemented in Lectora although maybe prototypes with a small number of nodes could be. I guess output could then be sent to an LRS/Tincan system.

I am trying to do some research to find out how students faced with learning choices (and the freedom to make them) actually make choices.

Thank you

Andrew

#387267 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Cam Phillips
    Cam Phillips
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    wise owl
    curious george
    contributor
    19 pts
    @_

Hi Andrew,

I think your best bet would be one of these services:

https://www.hotjar.com/ (Free for students and enthusiasts)
    https://mouseflow.com/ ($39 p/month)

I’ve not used either of these before, but I feel this would be an easier approach than trying to implement something in Lectora! It seems from the installation page you simply need to add a tracking code to your page (in this case, at the top level of your Lectora course) and it will pull the data in.

Unsure whether this would run into issues if deployed to an LMS (vs a straight HTML deployment) but it may get you started.

Keen to hear any insights you glean!

#387274 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Andrew Lian
    Andrew Lian
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    12 pts
    @mlapl1

Thank you Cam.

Good idea. The only problem is that a tracking code would need to be added to the tracked materials and I am trying to track materials and clicks over which I have no control -not just my Lectora materials. I got to thinking that as most stuff would be online analysing browser histories would be helpful also. I know… I know… I should have thought of it before but was fixated on a more general model of interaction. The browser history analysis would enable tracking of the path followed across the Internet (including local served materials) but would not track actual clicks on a page. This is a pity but, for my purposes, this would be more important than what happens on a page. Perhaps one could combine both approaches somehow.

Thanks again so much for your help.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.