Explore the community Forums Lectora Lectora Questions & Answers Triggering audio on mobile devices without input from End user

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of samc36
    samc36
    @samc36

Note to Forum Mods: I apologise if I have my first post in the wrong area of the forum. If it is, could you please move it?

Hi everyone,

I’m new to the forum. From what I can see, many other people, devs, eLearning Gurus etc, are all having similar issues.

A bit of backstory to my first issue. I’m attempting to deploy a course published in Lectora, onto iPad. It’s a good size for PC and iPad, and looks alright. I’ve moving through iterations of how I want the course to look and feel. My issue starts when I bring audio into the equation. My course is very text heavy, so to relieve the user and appeal to auditory learners, I’ve had VO (Voiceover) produced and reduced on screen text to concise points.

Those concise points are queued and triggered from the VO cut up using OnDonePlaying Events as timing is not reliable due to bandwidth variances etc. This all works fantastically on PC, and honestly Lectora is pretty easy to use for material like that. I can’t get this system to work at all on iPad/mobile though.

I have been researching this issue for a few days now.

What I’ve gathered so far is:

Apple’s devs and also other large mobile corporations, have decided to ignore tags in HTML. They are doing everything possible to prevent playing of audio/video without interaction from the end user. They require a physical touch/swipe etc from the screen.

They are apparently doing this for bandwidth on mobile devices, so as to restrict use of their users data on data plans, which can result in exorbitant data costs. This is even prevalent on Wi-Fi only devices.

In earlier versions of Android and iOS, there have been various workarounds, including clever JavaScript snippets, simulating clicks, using AJAX, simulating clicks with simultaneous events, and using external audio handling plugins. As far as I am aware, there is no solution to get audio to “Autoplay” on iPad. No workarounds. I have foolishly wasted time, trying a large variety of events, and possible solutions to try to get audio to trigger. I’ve even gone so far as to remove navigation from the user, and to make the page advance after a short delay after playing all audio, and then have a start slide button at the beginning of the next page, but even this will not work, as using a trigger to start the slide/audio on the page, will play the first piece of audio, but when one audio clip finishes, and wants to cue and trigger the next piece of audio, it does nothing and crashes to a halt. So now, there is no way to trigger audio on iPad, at all, without the end user.

So the whole audio-synced course is at a halt. I can hide and show and trigger images, text etc., but I can’t trigger audio at all. Am I doing something wrong, or is there any way to fix this, and start triggering audio on the iPad. I’ve tried global variables and modifying them from the course entry page when the user accepts they want to proceed with taking the course and that the course requires audio to be played.

Any help would be appreciated greatly, I understand what these mobile devs were going for, but it’s a pain really. I think people developing for mobile should be smart enough to control audio and video themselves. If you make a product for the end user that consistently autoplays unnecessary audio, or goes against what the user wants, or can’t control, then you as the dev would run the risk of your product not being accepted by the end user. Hence, encouraging good practices. There are game and media designers, who frequently use browsers and mobile for deployment, and it is highly frustrating to require input from the user for every single audio clip.

In an unrelated topic, I’m very happy to see this forum using a version of VBulletin, it’s a nice clean, clear, easy to use forum design.

#287096 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Sergey Snegirev
    Sergey Snegirev
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    lab member
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    336 pts
    @ssneg

Short answer: you cannot do autoplay on mobile devices in Lectora, because Lectora reloads HTML page each time you navigate.

Solution: add a big “play” button to each slide, make it trigger the voiceover. You can hide it on PC version and use autoplay if you like. Include a global option to see non-voiced version on iPad for those users who hate touching “play” on each page. All rather easy to do in Lectora.

Extra reading (see potential solutions that didn’t work, connect with others who tried, etc) — http://lectora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15904

#287099 Score: 0
    Profile photo of samc36
    samc36
    @samc36

@ssneg 62362 wrote:

Short answer: you cannot do autoplay on mobile devices in Lectora, because Lectora reloads HTML page each time you navigate.

Solution: add a big “play” button to each slide, make it trigger the voiceover. You can hide it on PC version and use autoplay if you like. Include a global option to see non-voiced version on iPad for those users who hate touching “play” on each page. All rather easy to do in Lectora.

Extra reading (see potential solutions that didn’t work, connect with others who tried, etc) — http://lectora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15904

First of all, thanks for you’re help.

I understand the short answer already, and have been searching though a lot of material about the matter. Non-voiced is done, and I can also have a version with timed bullets, one audio file and it plays though with one tap per slide.

I’ve got these avenues open already. I mainly want to know, is there any way, through Lectora, or otherwise (inc. JavaScript, HTML5, JQuery, plugins, anything), that I can trigger an audio file and make it play without the end user’s interaction. I suppose I kind of understand that this is what autoplay is, and that if I can’t do that, then there is no possible method of properly segmenting audio voiceovers, and using those segments finishing as triggers to load the next audio segment, and bullet. Even if we could do something where the user presses once per slide and I can then load the bullets and audio in sequence using some kind of precise trigger?

If there is no solution, I suppose I’ll build my own workflow for iPad, testing various bandwidths and experimenting with timing to get a good timing system down to play through a slide.

Thanks again ssneg, and if anybody else has anything useful to contribute or any more info, it would be greatly appreciated.

#287097 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Sergey Snegirev
    Sergey Snegirev
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    lab member
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    336 pts
    @ssneg

You have to manually trigger audio ONCE PER HTML PAGE. If you navigate to a different page, you have to trigger audio again. Within one page, you can trigger it once and then replace the src property of the audio tag infinitely to play various sounds.

There is no workaround to autoplay audio on a html page without triggering it at least once. None. Doesn’t work like that.

#287098 Score: 0
    Profile photo of samc36
    samc36
    @samc36

@ssneg 62379 wrote:

You have to manually trigger audio ONCE PER HTML PAGE. If you navigate to a different page, you have to trigger audio again. Within one page, you can trigger it once and then replace the src property of the audio tag infinitely to play various sounds.

There is no workaround to autoplay audio on a html page without triggering it at least once. None. Doesn’t work like that.

Okay okay, so there’s no autoplay and it’s not on the cards for the foreseeable future.

If I can trigger audio without the end user as I was asking, after an initial trigger from the user, and play through my sequencing of separate audio clips, then I’d be happy.

So how would I go about taking that input and playing the next audio clips to trigger bullets etc, on the same page, this is after the user has clicked “Play slide” or whatever to cue and play the first piece of audio. So that’s the one interactive receipt per page. Can I do this in Lectora or is it code based?

Again, thanks for your help, I really want to resolve this so I can get moving.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.