Explore the community Forums Lectora Lectora Questions & Answers Two questions about SCORM

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Andrew Lian
    Andrew Lian
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    12 pts
    @mlapl1

Hello Everyone,

I rarely care about scores in my own work but, of course, some people do… so I wonder if you have some answers to the following issues:

(a) When you run a SCORM lesson, does the LMS automatically communicate the lesson status to the Lesson (AICC_Lesson_Status)? If not, is there a standard way of accessing Lesson Status?

(b) Students often do not complete a lesson in one go and it is often permissible/desirable to let them start the lesson again from where they left off. How do you do this with Lectora? Is it possible, for instance, to ascertain both completion status and where they left off the previous time (or the furthest point that they had reached in the lesson)? Does AICC_Lesson_Location somehow hold that information? And, if so, in what form?

Thank you for your insights.

Andrew

#383181 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Cam Phillips
    Cam Phillips
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    wise owl
    curious george
    contributor
    19 pts
    @_

Hi Andrew,

Unsure if an LMS can communicate a variable back to a course, but you can certainly set the AICC_Lesson_Status to ‘complete’ from within Lectora.

Lectora’s SCORM publishing settings include a ‘Prompt the user to navigate to the last viewed page’ option. When a learner revisits a course they’re given the option to pick up from where they left off, or start from the first page.
    Their choice won’t affect progression tracking (page/chapter completion variables) if those variables are set to ‘retain value between lessons’.

Does this help?

Cam

#383184 Score: 0
    Andrew Lian
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    12 pts
    @mlapl1

Thank you Cam. That is helpful. Well, I think the LMS does send information to Lectora. For instance, it can send the user ID or the person’s full name and some other stuff. I just cannot see a variable that would indicate where the user stopped their lesson.

I also know about the prompt to navigate to the last viewed page but I thought that this referred to the facility for doing this on the SAME computer as the lesson was originally done on. But maybe it does not, in which case that would solve my problem.I will investigate further. Hmmm interesting… thanks
    Andrew

#383197 Score: 0
    Profile photo of mallow76
    mallow76
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    23 pts
    @mallow76

Hi Andrew,

Yes – bookmarking in this way works for SCORM modules and the person can continue from where they left off regardless of computer used.

Stuart

#383200 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Tim K
    Tim K
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    wise owl
    curious george
    Group Member
    355 pts
    @timk

The bookmark is saved in  AICC_Lesson_Location by the LMS, so it’s saved for the user and not for the computer. The variable contains a string, e.g. “page34599.html”, i.e. the filename of the page that was opened when the window was closed. The bookmark is updated automatically when a page is loaded, but you can easily modify the variable and the bookmark with a normal “Modify”action by entering another file.

#383210 Score: 0
    Andrew Lian
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    12 pts
    @mlapl1

Well… that’s what I thought but when I tried to read AICC_Lesson_Location, it gave me the page I was currently on – not what it remembered and, secondly, it will remember the page on which you left the lesson, not the page where you stopped working. So… if you leave through an exit page, it will always remember the exit page and want to start you there, not where you were just before. Having said that, I know it is not very hard to store the page where you stopped working and put it in AICC_Lesson_Location. Just saying … but anyway, the important thing is that both of you are saying that it is possible to bookmark pages.

Thanks a lot
    Andrew

#383262 Score: 0
    Profile photo of mallow76
    mallow76
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    23 pts
    @mallow76

If you need / want an exit page it might be best to have it appear as an overlay to the existing page instead of taking the user to a separate page. This way the correct page will be bookmarked.

There is zero manual work you should need to do when using the Lesson_Location variable beyond selecting the bookmarking checkbox during publish.

#383265 Score: 0
    Andrew Lian
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    12 pts
    @mlapl1

Yes… an excellent point… Thank you.

#383402 Score: 0
    Andrew Lian
    beginner
    intermediate
    friend finder
    advanced
    contributor
    wise owl
    curious george
    12 pts
    @mlapl1

While the two of you are here… I have another puzzle (I suppose I could start another thread but…)

Since running moodle 3.3.x I have been experiencing SCORM alert messages (which actually interrupt the flow of work). The message I get is:

“The SCORM player has determined that your Internet connection is unreliable or has been interrupted. If you continue in this SCORM activity, your progress may not be saved.
    You should exit the activity now, and return when you have a dependable Internet connection

Now… I am actually on a fibre optic connection at most places I work. I get this message on many machines. As far as I can tell, the VPS I work on is NOT slow or weak (it can support about 100 simultaneous users). Earlier versions of Moodle do not have the same problem and work perfectly well. The Moodle community was not able to help other than to suggest a slow connection or weak server and the need to improve the caching system. I can run the files ok on other SCORM engines (e.g. Chamilo). Currently, I can run on pre-moodle 3.3.x systems but will have to upgrade eventually. Not sure what to do. Any advice????

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.