Explore the community Forums Lectora Lectora Questions & Answers Upgrading to Lectora 12

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dmascottrr
    dmascottrr
    beginner
    intermediate
    @dmascottrr

Hi – I liked your comments. Do you have any experience in exporting test results (Lectora v11)? I’ve been looking up documentation all morning with mixed results. Some threads indicate Google Drive (export) doesn’t work in v11, but Lectora’s own website indicates, it was fixed. (Yes, I know about V12, but we aren’t upgrading yet).

#286552 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Sergey Snegirev
    Sergey Snegirev
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    lab member
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    339 pts
    @ssneg

@sirwise23 63194 wrote:

Adobe has A LOT more money to put into product testing and creating an image is not the same as creating an interactive web based project. For all the amazing things you can create in photoshop that end result is nothing more than one simple object that would go into an entire Lectora project. Something that publishes out for the web has a LOT more coding to working about and user hardware to account for.

Speaking of Adobe, its e-learning product (Adobe Captivate) has been the buggiest software ever since I first tried it years ago as Captivate 3. And now they are on version 8 and still the first release is always quite buggy, and some things go untreated for years, and some other things remain stupidly inconvenient from version to version, and the backwards compatibility between versions is either officially not supported or buggy as hell.

Why would a four-billion-dollar company do that, when they CAN launch excellent products such as Photoshop or AfterEffects? My guess is because the market size and budgets for elearning authoring tools are so small that they cannot put enough resources on that.

Having said that, I do agree that Trivantis should probably do a public all-hands-on-deck beta for the next version of Lectora (12.1?) in addition to internal and closed-beta testing. It’s basically the same “download a trial” only re-labelled as “it’s a beta so do expect some bugs”. It’s all about expectations management, right? 🙂

#286565 Score: 0
    Profile photo of samc36
    samc36
    @samc36

@ssneg 63200 wrote:

Why would a four-billion-dollar company do that, when they CAN launch excellent products such as Photoshop or AfterEffects? My guess is because the market size and budgets for elearning authoring tools are so small that they cannot put enough resources on that.

Having said that, I do agree that Trivantis should probably do a public all-hands-on-deck beta for the next version of Lectora (12.1?) in addition to internal and closed-beta testing. It’s basically the same “download a trial” only re-labelled as “it’s a beta so do expect some bugs”. It’s all about expectations management, right? 🙂

I agree completely with this.

@sirwise23 63194 wrote:

Yes, I do have to say that every time they have a major upgrade, things seem to be rather untested. I would understand obscure things slipping by but things like text looking off in a version of IE… again (The same issue existed when Lectora 11 launced) shouldn’t happen.

However, something to remember is that Adobe has A LOT more money to put into product testing and creating an image is not the same as creating an interactive web based project. For all the amazing things you can create in photoshop that end result is nothing more than one simple object that would go into an entire Lectora project. Something that publishes out for the web has a LOT more coding to working about and user hardware to account for.

I try to cut them some slack but maybe the better program needs to incluse a lot more customers?

I get what you’re saying, but I wasn’t comparing photo editing to e-Learning, I was comparing the finished quality of software between what is pretty much flawless at times in my opinion (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator) (I’m an Adobe suite guy), to eLearning software’s huge flaws. As ssneg said, what were Adobe up to with Captivate??

I’m frustrated because Lectora is pretty much the go to software for e-Learning projects. I’m tech-savvy, and have lots of training in software, and was even recommended to use Lectora in college when studying eLearning as it’s THE major industry competitor. Someone trained in Learning/Competency etc… may not be able to cope with the mass amount of bugs, errors, inconsistencies, flaws etc..

I don’t care how well Trivantis is funded, I care about the fact that eLearning software always seems to be excused. Yes, browsers and technology changes, but it’s no excuse for releasing buggy software on an annual basis, for large enough sums of money, which never quite meets expectations. I’m not just pointing the finger at Trivantis, I’ve had my worst software experiences with other eLearning softwares and it seems like it’s been this way for many years.

I appreciate some of the features Trivantis are trying to implement. The ribbon menu works quite well, and being able to crop pictures, and have some form of canvas/artboard where I can lay objects outside the main area really helps. Am I wrong in saying there was no rotation at one stage? or was that something else. I think most of that should have been there from the start or at least a few additions ago.

Apologies for the large opinionated rant but I would much appreciate a team of dedicated devs working on a version of Lectora every two years, one that’s polished/tested and works properly.

#286550 Score: 0
    Profile photo of dtate
    dtate
    advanced
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    @dtate

My biggest issue was the one listed on the top of the Known Issues list on the Lectora site. Is there a way we can be notified when something is released that fixes these issues?

Thanks!

#286538 Score: 0
    Profile photo of kellykungfu
    kellykungfu
    @kellykungfu

@ssneg 63200 wrote:

Speaking of Adobe, its e-learning product (Adobe Captivate) has been the buggiest software ever since I first tried it years ago as Captivate 3. And now they are on version 8 and still the first release is always quite buggy, and some things go untreated for years, and some other things remain stupidly inconvenient from version to version, and the backwards compatibility between versions is either officially not supported or buggy as hell.

Well said, Sergey and do agree. The courses that I work on are compliance and reaches out to our entire workforce of 170,000+ learners every year. I’ve also been on the Trivantis beta list and was never chosen for testing, perhaps I don’t know enough… This will be an interesting year as I’m in the process of choosing the authoring tool for next years courses.

#286543 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Ben Pitman
    Ben Pitman
    4 pts
    @benpitman

I have to say I kind of agree with you guys. I am not that familiar with Adobe but seems like a LOT was missed in this version. I am advising my clients NOT to upgrade until there is a more stable release. And like Kelly, I am helping two organizations select there new authoring tool. While it is obvious I am in the Lectora camp, I am advising them to look seriously at other products because of 1) buggieness, 2) learning curve, and 3) no timeline. That being said, I still think Lectora is a great tool and hope that they get the probs fixed soon.

#286553 Score: 0
    Sergey Snegirev
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    lab member
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    339 pts
    @ssneg

@benpitman 63218 wrote:

because of 1) buggieness, 2) learning curve, and 3) no timeline.

2) I’m not sure about that.

When it comes to just placing stuff on the slide, all major tools are pretty much equally easy. If you know PowerPoint, you can work with Lectora, Captivate or Storyline easily.

And if you want to add interactivity from simple “click to show” to complex variable-based stuff, Lectora is pretty straightforward, too. Captivate is much worse, and Storyline is at par I would say.

3) It is a design choice and I entirely support it. I think using timelines in e-learning is a BAD PRACTICE. Timelines are the equivalent of a professor talking over a slide, so the learner is like a student who sits back and watches the screen. This is NOT the way people should consume information online. Have you see a timeline elsewhere on web, beyond elearning courses? Imagine opening a Wikipedia article and watching it unfold paragraph by paragraph to a voice over. If you look closely at the direction Storyline took, you’ll notice that the timeline is taking a back seat to interactivity. Learners don’t need to “watch and listen”, they need to read, skip, go back and forth, interact (explore, answer, think, make decisions, see consequences).

But of course many organisations just want to have the equivalent of powerpoint slides synced to narration, which is a shame.

#286541 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Ben Pitman
    Ben Pitman
    4 pts
    @benpitman

2) In The other tools you mentioned above when you import the PowerPoint is pretty much what you see is what you get. This is not true with Lectora. While Lectora does import PowerPoint slides you always have a lot of work to do to get things in the right places even if you tuned the PowerPoint so that things were almost in exactly the right place. And then while many transitions do come in there are still transitions that do not come in.

3) As to a timeline, I pretty much agree with you for most slides. However, when you have an audio that’s explaining a diagram or a graphic of some kind is really VERY nice to have things like arrows pointing to specific places or highlighting parts of the diagram appear as you talk about them. This is much easier to do with a timeline that is to do with the actions the way Lectora has.

#286545 Score: 0
    Profile photo of lauram
    lauram
    2 pts
    @lauram

I appreciate all of the feedback and conversation on this thread. Please know that your suggestions are being heard -timelines, 12.1 beta, PPT import, more user involvement with releases. We’re dedicated to improving both our products and our process, and you are all a valuable part of this effort.

To answer a couple of questions…
    dtate – The Auto-Update in Lectora will notify you when a patch is available, and allow you to download and install. Otherwise, it will be available on the Support > Downloads and Release Notes section of lectora.com (http://lectora.com/service-pack-downloads/). We’ll also post something on the forum.

kellykungfu – We accept almost everyone who applies to be a beta tester. Wen we’re running a beta program, we’ll post a link to apply on our site and email all Lectora users. There are no requirements to be a tester – just a willingness to participate. You can always email us at info@lectora.com if for some reason you apply but don’t hear back.

Now back to the great timeline debate…

#286537 Score: 0
    Profile photo of kellykungfu
    kellykungfu
    @kellykungfu

@lauram 63231 wrote:

kellykungfu – We accept almost everyone who applies to be a beta tester. Wen we’re running a beta program, we’ll post a link to apply on our site and email all Lectora users. There are no requirements to be a tester – just a willingness to participate. You can always email us at info@lectora.com if for some reason you apply but don’t hear back.

As most companies are these days, more projects with less resources as much as I would like there is not enough time as it is. Thanks for the reply.

-kelly

#286555 Score: 0
    Sergey Snegirev
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    lab member
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    339 pts
    @ssneg

@benpitman 63229 wrote:

2) In The other tools you mentioned above when you import the PowerPoint is pretty much what you see is what you get. This is not true with Lectora.

This is sadly not true with other tools either. The result is still rather far off from the original and requires fiddling with fonts, text position, colors, breaks, lists or animations on pretty much (wink) every slide. At least the last time I tried. So nobody is perfect (except companies like SlideShare who do a great job of converting PPT to HTML and that is one of the reasons why they were bought out for 9 figures).

#286558 Score: 0
    Profile photo of morgana
    morgana
    beginner
    intermediate
    @morgana

I don’t see the option to publish to an .exe file in the upgraded version…

#286554 Score: 0
    Sergey Snegirev
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    lab member
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    339 pts
    @ssneg

@morgana 63360 wrote:

I don’t see the option to publish to an .exe file in the upgraded version…

It’s called “Offline” now. Right next to Web/HTML output.

#286559 Score: 0
    Profile photo of MartinK
    MartinK
    @MartinK

@morgana 63360 wrote:

I don’t see the option to publish to an .EXE file in the upgraded version…

Here’s the full discussion around that topic – if it also affects you please leave a comment there as well.

http://lectora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24076

Best regards,
    Martin

#286562 Score: 0
    Profile photo of dennishall
    dennishall
    @dennishall

I have full administrative rights on my Windows 7 (latest updates installed) computer.
    I did a parallel install of Inspire in December and had not used it until recently.

Now I have uninstalled publisher and my AWT files lost their association with Lectora.exe.
    I then tried to select Lectora.exe from Program Files (x86) as the default program and the OK button remained disabled in the Choose a default program window.

I then tried notepad as the default program and the OK button was selectable and the AWT files now open with notepad.exe, so there is no issue with my rights, or the OK button function.

I can repeat the association with any program I wish EXCEPT Lectora.exe. It is the ONLY program that I cannot associate the AWT files with.

What’s up with this?

How can I correct this issue?

Best Regards,
    Dennis Hall

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.