Explore the community Forums Lectora Lectora Questions & Answers Using Text Answer to Track Completion

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Joe Hauglie
    Joe Hauglie
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    contributor
    friend finder
    5 pts
    @jhauglie5350

Thanks to this community for your ideas, solutions, and suggestions!

The course I am building needs to track user completion only through an acknowledgement statement (the statement says, basically, that the user is completing the course independently and without assistance from anyone else). We would like to capture the user acknowledgement through a simple text entry: type your name here, enter the date, submit the form.

I have the acknowledgement set as a test section and have tried several ways to record completion but am constantly getting errors. One way I have tried is to use a question element for name entry, with an entry field for the user to type his/her name, followed by another question element for the date entry. Neither passes – when I try to type anything in either field (including pressing the shift key!), the error appears, “You must choose an answer to continue.”

Another way was to create a text box with an action linked to a simple checkbox (enter your name, then click the box to allow you to submit the form). That didn’t even get off the launchpad, either.

Any ideas would be appreciated. We are really looking for the easiest way to make the user acknowledge that he or she has read the conditions listed on the page (read text) and then submit his/her name as a way to track that (enter name, submit page/form).

#439293 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Laura Silver
    Laura Silver
    junior moderator
    verified member
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    wise owl
    friend finder
    advanced
    curious george
    Group Member
    25 pts
    @lsilver

Hi there – Is the course being launched from an LMS? I have a few easy approaches in mind, but am wondering what you need to track vs what’s automatically tracked by the LMS.

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #439314 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Darrel Somoza
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    209 pts
    @Klaatu

We have used something similar to your “another way” for a few years now with complete success. Because not all of our employees have access to the business Intranet, we provide two ways for some mandatory training. One method is we mail disks to their home with an affirmation sheet that they can fill out and return in a self addressed and post metered envelope. We also include in this mailing a link to a simple online one page affirmation that they can log into our LMS and complete online if they prefer (most do because they will get compensated faster). This is what I think you are looking to accomplish.

We also have the entire course online for those who want to complete it that way. Both online methods record compliance in the LMS.

For the returned hard copies, we wrote a small program that allows one of our administrative assistants to quickly enter the pertinent information that gets added to the LMS database same as if it were completed online (we do include a flag, however, that allows us to go back and tell which method was used).

The online affirmation was worded by our legal department and basically says that they have completed the training, have no questions and will comply with contents. To accomplish this you only need a single page with a checkbox and some actions. Add a button (exit works great) that when clicked will first check to see if the checkbox is empty, if it is not (meaning it is checked) then send complete to lms and exit. We also added a warning if exit is pressed with the checkbox empty; it asks them if they are sure they want to exit without completing the training. If they answer yes, the lesson closes without marking their compliance.

#439329 Score: 0
    Joe Hauglie
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    contributor
    friend finder
    5 pts
    @jhauglie5350

Laura – The course will be delivered via a cloud-based LMS that we are just starting to use (Journey, through a company called Red Vector). In the same way as Darrel’s reply describes, contractors will be completing the course before showing up to work (it’s a precondition to their engagement here) and the completions will be tracked and reported weekly – so Person A can show up at one of several locations and do the work.

There are a few considerations for not trying to use the LMS in a more conventional manner (data in, reported data out). Mostly though, it’s externally hosted – and so while we can access reporting and so forth for employees (part of the agreement), it’s another matter to do so for contractors, many of whom may be only one-time engagements (and we don’t want to use our storage to keep their records longer than we need to). And we can’t have the contractors use our internal LMS (a Peoplesoft database) since they aren’t employees. Having a cloud-based externally hosted location makes a lot of sense in this situation.

Hope this helps to guide your thinking, Laura!

Darrel – Your solution is very much what we are wanting to use here. I’ll go back and give it a whirl (let’s just hope it’s not a frog in a blender…).

#439332 Score: 1
    Profile photo of CarlFink
    CarlFink
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    curious george
    advanced
    36 pts
    @CarlFink

I’ve implemented something similar by just having a one-question test, with correct answer “I agree” and incorrect answer “I do not agree.” If they fail the test, they aren’t compliant and their managers are directed to follow up.

#439334 Score: 0
    Joe Hauglie
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    contributor
    friend finder
    5 pts
    @jhauglie5350

Thanks Carl! This may be a good solution to fall back on!

#439341 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Laura Silver
    Laura Silver
    junior moderator
    verified member
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    wise owl
    friend finder
    advanced
    curious george
    Group Member
    25 pts
    @lsilver

I like Carl’s approach. The date and name should automatically be tracked by the LMS, so all you need is the acknowledgement. You can use a test question. Or you can skip a test entirely, and set up a conditional action to modify the AICC_Score variable to 100 IF the user selects a specific button or form element.

#439343 Score: 1
    Profile photo of Tim K
    Tim K
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    wise owl
    curious george
    Group Member
    352 pts
    @timk

This could be done with a single checkbox, a form element not a question and one action:

On: Select / Change
    Action: Modify variable
    Target: AICC_Lesson_Status
    Type: Set
    Value: completed

IF “Checkbox_0001” Equal to “on”

ELSE

Action: Modify variable
    Target: AICC_Lesson_Status
    Type: Set
    Value: incomplete

#439345 Score: 0
    Joe Hauglie
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    contributor
    friend finder
    5 pts
    @jhauglie5350

<great_relief_and_stress_reduction>Whew! These are terrific! THANK YOU!!</great_relief_and_stress_reduction>

#439347 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Darrel Somoza
    Darrel Somoza
    contributor
    friend finder
    beginner
    intermediate
    junior moderator
    advanced
    wise owl
    curious george
    209 pts
    @Klaatu

Hey Tim, Long time. Hope all is well. This is EXACTLY what we did. I probably even got the idea from you originally..lol.

Be well.

#439441 Score: 1
    Profile photo of CarlFink
    CarlFink
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    curious george
    advanced
    36 pts
    @CarlFink

One advantage of the pass/fail idea: in most LMS’s, if someone fails a test their manager is immediately notified, which is what you want in a compliance situation.

#439446 Score: 0
    Joe Hauglie
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    contributor
    friend finder
    5 pts
    @jhauglie5350

Correct, Carl – and if the users were employees (or even longer-term contractors, which some of them may be), the management reporting link is precisely what we would want. In our corporate LMS, in fact, that’s one of the more (popular? well-known?) features: it generates a weekly/monthly/quarterly notification “naughty list” that is the bane of every leader’s reporting structure. But in this case, with the limited admin access (keeps too many cooks out of the kitchen) and the unknown contractor organizations (we only know the names of the assigned contractors and their respective employers: 6 from Company A, 12 from Company B, and so on), the asynchronous data collection is what we are wanting.
    Additionally, the separate LMS can manage external logins much more easily than our internal system does, and in fact is under consideration for adoption by the enterprise. But I digress.
    The module is now built and staged for loading to the LMS later this week by the admins – so we’ll know next week whether or not the frogs survived the blender.

Thanks again, y’all!

#439505 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Tim K
    Tim K
    contributor
    beginner
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    wise owl
    curious george
    Group Member
    352 pts
    @timk

Of course you could set the status to “passed” or “failed” the same way. You might also add an action to modify the score.

Thanks Darrel, and likewise. It’s good to see you around from time to time (I’ve been here all the time 😉

Tim

P.S. Frogs can be very tough, unless hit by a car…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.