Explore the community Forums Lectora Lectora Questions & Answers Videos Blurry when Publish to Offline

Tagged: ,

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mike Nelson
    Mike Nelson
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    advanced
    friend finder
    contributor
    1 pt
    @MNelson

I have several MP4 videos in my Lectora title. When I publish to “Offline,” the videos are blurry (I do not have compression checked). However, they’re perfect when I publish to HTML. I assume this is a bug.

#318023 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Jennifer Valley
    Jennifer Valley
    contributor
    beginner
    friend finder
    advanced
    lectora beginner
    verified member
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    curious george
    114 pts
    @jvalley4735

Can you share the files so I can see if I can recreate the issue?

#318035 Score: 0
    Mike Nelson
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    advanced
    friend finder
    contributor
    1 pt
    @MNelson

The zip file of my Lectora project is too large to post here. (167 MB)

Maybe I can delete all videos except one to bring the file size down for testing?

#318039 Score: 0
    Mike Nelson
    beginner
    intermediate
    curious george
    wise owl
    advanced
    friend finder
    contributor
    1 pt
    @MNelson

Attached is a zip file of my Lectora project with all videos deleted except the one for “Accessing the Internet on a Computer.” When it’s published as html, the video is crisp and clear. When it’s published to offline, the video is blurry in comparison.

Note: This project is simply a menu for the user to watch some training videos.

Thanks,
    —Mike

#318064 Score: 2
    Profile photo of Sergey Snegirev
    Sergey Snegirev
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    lab member
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    wise owl
    336 pts
    @ssneg

I can confirm that this is a reproduceable problem and that it is not related to Mike’s files. I replaced the mp4 with my own and it still looks jagged (I guess ‘jagged’ or ‘distorted’ describes what I’m seeing better than ‘blurred’).

I guess that the problem is as following. The video is 1280×720 while the player object is sized to just 967×543. Most browsers can scale videos down smoothly without much loss of quality (and on a retina Mac, 720p played in 543px player looks stunningly crisp due to extra resolution). However, Awesomium (the browser used by Lectora to play offline content) cannot scale video down smoothly. Maybe this is an inherent Awesomium problem, or maybe this can be tweaked by Trivantis via internal Awesomium settings. In any case, there are two ways out for now:

– size the player in your course to 1280×720 (probably not what you want since all pages have to be resized and rebuilt)

– use a video editor to resize the video to 967×543 so it is played back at a 1:1 ratio, therefore not giving Awesomium a reason to distort it.

This post has received 2 votes up.
    #318082 Score: 0
    Jennifer Valley
    contributor
    beginner
    friend finder
    advanced
    lectora beginner
    verified member
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    curious george
    114 pts
    @jvalley4735

When I have to resize a video I always try to hold on the control key because it keeps the original scaling ratio which reduces the fuzziness.  I’ve brought the issue up with the developers so we’ll see if they can make some improvments to it in the future.  I’m confident!

#318181 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Math Notermans
    Math Notermans
    contributor
    intermediate
    advanced
    friend finder
    junior moderator
    advocate
    LUC16 Attendee
    LUC16
    wise owl
    curious george
    121 pts
    @mnotermans5114

Actually…. resizing a video in Lectora is in my opinion always a bad idea.
    Why ?
    Several reasons..

– Quality loss, because a video editing tool, resizing the  original video allways does a better job at it
    – Quality loss, because when rendering your video, producing it at the proper size is better. Compression over compression allways creates some quality loss.
    – Speed loss. Maybe unnoticeable on your computer, but on slower computers it will take somewhat more time for the page to calculate the scaling…compared with no scaling needed at all.

So i never scale videos in Lectora. Use them at the size rendered all the times. If i need a smaller size…i rerender it.

#318234 Score: 0
    Jennifer Valley
    contributor
    beginner
    friend finder
    advanced
    lectora beginner
    verified member
    wise owl
    picture perfect
    curious george
    114 pts
    @jvalley4735

I agree that it’s not the most ideal situation but in a perfect world we have control over the files we place into a course lol When that isn’t the case we have to make do with what was given.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.