Explore the community Forums Lectora Inspire Tools Questions & Answers xAPI: Add a custom LRS endpoint

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Erick Emde
    Erick Emde
    @eemde6909

Hi,

How do I add a custom LRS endpoint so that my content can send info to other LRS(s)?
    I don’t see anyplace to do this, even in the TinCan javascript files.

Thanks in advance.

Erick

#299065 Score: 1
    Profile photo of John Blackmon
    John Blackmon
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    friend finder
    advanced
    junior moderator
    wise owl
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    verified member
    29 pts
    @johnb

The endpoint is passed in on the launch string for the content. Normally this would be passed to the content by the hosting server, but if you intend on launching from a web server, you can customize the launch string yourself.

Attached to this Post is a PDF which describes how the launch string for xAPI is formatted.

I am working on a HTML start page for xAPI running on a standard Web Server which will make it much simpler to construct this launch string. Look for that post on my page on the community soon!

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #299516 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Andrew Corbett
    Andrew Corbett
    intermediate
    wise owl
    advanced
    curious george
    picture perfect
    contributor
    1 pt
    @acorbett3701

Hello John,

I’m about to attempt what you describe above — “I am working on a HTML start page for xAPI running on a standard Web Server” — and I’d be very interested to hear how your work is progressing.

A few specific questions:

1) Are you using Lectora’s built-in xAPI capability?  Then publishing NOT to a zip and uploading those files to your webserver?

2) Assuming the above, how are you customizing your launch string?  In other words, where are you inserting the code that customizes it?  (I’m assuming you need to manipluate the standard Lectora output?)

3) Given that it’s NOT in an LMS, you must be getting your actor info elsewhere — e.g., an AJAX call — and inserting it into your xAPI launch string?

Any insight you are willing to share would be welcome, and I’ll share what I learn as well.

Best,

andrew

#299524 Score: 0
    John Blackmon
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    friend finder
    advanced
    junior moderator
    wise owl
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    verified member
    29 pts
    @johnb

OK, I got the post finished, hopefully it has everything you are looking for. On your questions:

1) Yes, regular Lectora xAPI published content
    2) No need to manipulate the Lectora content, the launch string is generated by the HTML file.
    3) It either pulls the info from the included XML config file, or prompts the user if it is not included.

I also included a PDF that outlines everything in the command line as a bit of extra information.

Enjoy, and let me know how it works for you!

#299525 Score: 2
    John Blackmon
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    friend finder
    advanced
    junior moderator
    wise owl
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    verified member
    29 pts
    @johnb

Oh, and I guess I should put the link in as well…..

https://community.trivantis.com/shared-content/xapi-launcher/

🙂

This post has received 2 votes up.
    #299527 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Andrew Corbett
    Andrew Corbett
    intermediate
    wise owl
    advanced
    curious george
    picture perfect
    contributor
    1 pt
    @acorbett3701

Hi John,

Thanks for posting this terrific info and example.  If I understand correctly, your script opens the index page generated by Lectora, passing the xAPI variables on the query string.  So, I’m inferring that the Lectora code automatically grabs those from the query string to configure the LRS “connection”?  Perhaps that’s a part of the basic xAPI (or SCORM) spec that it must incorporate this functionality?

Thanks again!

andrew

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of Andrew Corbett Andrew Corbett. Reason: edited for clarity
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of Andrew Corbett Andrew Corbett.
    #299532 Score: 0
    John Blackmon
    beginner
    intermediate
    contributor
    friend finder
    advanced
    junior moderator
    wise owl
    LUC16
    LUC16 Attendee
    verified member
    29 pts
    @johnb

Yes that’s part of xAPI, all of the info is taken from the query string. That enables it to run independently.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.