Since you can have multiple versions of Lectora on your computer it’s important to be able to control which versions of Lectora are used to open your files. Lectora 16 does not automatically remove older copies of Lectora when it is installed. But if you uninstall Lectora 12 (or 11) after installing Lectora 16, your computer may lose the file association for AWT files. If this has happened, double-clicking a Lectora AWT file will not automatically launch Lectora and open the file.
First we will show you how to set a default program and then we will cover how you can easily open courses in multiple versions of Lectora.
Part 1 – Setting the Default File Association
If double-clicking a Lectora AWT file does not automatically launch Lectora, or if the wrong version of Lectora launches you can change the file association to correct it.
To set the default program for Lectora titles:
- Make sure you have administrator privileges with your current login or switch to another login that does have admin rights.
- Right-click on any AWT file on your computer.
- Choose “Open with” from the context menu that appears.
- Then select “Choose default program…”.
- Select a program from the recommended list of programs or click Browse… to choose a program that isn’t listed.
- Make sure the “Always use the selected program to open this kind of file” checkbox is selected and then click OK.
Once you’ve made a selection from the recommended list or browsed for another installed problem, that program will be the default program that opens up all of your Lectora AWT files.
Alternately you can also change the file associations with the Control Panel:
- Open the Control Panel, choose Default Programs, and then click “Associate a file type or protocol with a program”.
- Find the .AWT file type in the list and click “Change program…”.
- Continue steps 5 & 6 above.
Part 2 – Opening Courses in Older Versions of Lectora
Double-clicking a Lectora AWT file won’t work if you have multiple versions of Lectora on your computer and need to open a specific course in a version that is not your default Lectora version. There are two ways to open these older files. You can make it easier by always keeping a list of shortcuts to all of your different versions handy.
- Open the version of Lectora you wish to use with the older file.
- From the Getting Started screen click Browse. Or click the File menu and then select Open Existing Title.
- Locate and select the file you wish to open, click Open.
- Locate both the AWT file you wish to open and the version of Lectora you want to use (the Lectora EXE file for that version or a shortcut to the Lectora EXE file). Having the files in 2 separate windows may help.
- Drag the AWT file over on top of the Lectora icon to open it.